Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Bodyboarding In Brazil

Bodyboarding has always one of my favorite extreme sports. I started when I was young down at Virgina Beach. My first board was crappy, pretty much a Styrofoam block. Then pops upgraded me to the Shark Odyssey and from there I copped the Morey Surf Slayer with air pocket slick bottom. There were all beginner boards, so naturally I had my eye on my next board. Mike Stewart, arguably the best bodyboarder in the history of the sport had just released his line of boards back in 1999. So I copped my first Mike Stewart board during a surf trip to Cali, I didn't really get to test it out on serious waves until last winter during a trip to Brazil. While in Rio I tried to surf as much as possible, to my surprise I sucked compared to the locals. Like actually got made fun of in Portuguese by small children from Rocinha favela. The waves in Brazil are killer, in more ways than one. First, the waves are perfect for learning how to ride and from there improving. Secondly the waves can kill you, yea I kinda almost drowned twice...no quit in me though, headed back for round two this winter. Peep the bodyboarding scene down in Brazil, this is yet another sport that defies race/class. Thanks to Dan Hamer for the production:

1 comment:

  1. Looks amazing one of my dreams to someday Bodyboard in brazil ! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete