Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Get Familiar - - Tony Peralta: EF LIFEstyle Feature

If you already haven’t heard of Tony Peralta then you need to get very familiar. EF was lucky enough to meet this artistic genius during the 55DSL Seen on Audio event where he premiered his latest master piece entitled: “Childhood Soundtrack”. It's always interesting getting inside an artists head and finding out what inspires them...teleport for the EFxclusive Tony Peralta interview



EF: Why did you name this piece childhood soundtrack? What makes it significant to you?

TP: The piece was named "Childhood Soundtrack" because the cassette tape
covers that where used as the canvas where the tapes that I was listening
to during my adolescence. This piece has a lot of sentimental value for me
because those tapes and album covers meant the world to me. I would scan
the tape sleeves from front cover to the back. Reading up on what songs where
sampled, who the artist sampled, who produced the tracks. Who the artist
said thank you too. Those tapes helped shape my artist expression and helped me
open my mind. Especially, me being a 1st born generation Dominican.

EF: Where do you get your inspiration for your pieces?

TP: My inspiration came from those tapes. The task of the show was to create
a piece of artwork with found objects and work with the theme Audio Digital. So, I marinated on that for a moment and figured out I can create something with my old
tapes that I had stored in some sneaker boxes. I couldn't see myself ever throwing away
those tapes, so why not create piece of artwork. Trust me, using those tapes took alot. And it's gonna cost a lot if someone wants to buy the piece.


EF: How did you end up collaborating with 55DSL, and what made you make your final decision to do so?

TP: I ended up doing the show at the 55 DSL store cause I am part of the Sound
of Art. The Sound of Art is an artist collective founded by Leo Vasquez and Leo puts
on art exhibit for up and coming artist in non-traditional places.

EF: What can your fans expect to see from you for the upcoming fall season?

TP: This fall you should be expecting some sunglasses I designed for Republica
eyewear. There are 3 different pairs of Limited edition Peralta Project sunglasses for Republica. Only about 200 are being made. There would be a solo art exhibit of my work to launch the eye glasses and I also have the fall series of my Rob & Hood Theory tee shirts coming out in mid-September. Along with my limited Obama and Freedom tee.
Go to: www.peraltaproject.com to see more of his designs. Don’t forget to peep his blog!!

1 comment:

  1. I fucks with his clothing line of T's. They unique and meaningful.

    ReplyDelete