Friday, March 7, 2008

Fashion Sense: Prps...Ladies Line

I’ll admit that I own boy’s clothes. Some are sweatshirts left over from ex-boyfriends, some are t-shirts I “borrowed” from my brother, some are things I bought myself because they were cuter than an alternative in a girl’s department (example, I  my Nudie jeans).

But this isn’t about cross-dressing or a quest for ultimate androgyny. Men’s designers have slowly been exploring and crossing into the women’s market (Rag & Bone, Travota…). Prps (shorthand for purpose) is one such brand that will launch their debut women’s collection in the fall. Donwan Harrell’s three-year-old company is just now entering the women’s market after stores started asking for it. Way to go girls! The collection is inspired by a childhood memory of Harrell’s. He grew up in North Carolina with a love of cars, racing, and hanging out at the drag strip; now even collects vintage cars. This translates into rough worn-in denim jeans, three styles in various washes made from premium European and Japanese fabric. Like their men’s denim, extensive attention is paid to the details as they are washed by hand, sewn, and finished in Japan. In addition, the fall collection contains an extensive range of sportswear including tops and outwear. Based on wholesale prices, I would guess that his women’s pieces will start around $200, as the hope is to sell in doors currently showcasing the men’s Prps collection, Bloomingdale’s and Bergdorf’s among others.
I’ll be waiting with baited breath for this arrival. And in the meantime, LA Fashion Week starts today!

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment